Storing Plants Until Ready to Be Planted
- Re-cover the roots with original packing material. If the packing seems dry, re-moisten until damp, but not saturated
- Ideal storage temperature is 40-45 out of sunlight and wind.
At Planting Time
- Soak shrubs in a bucket of water up to 24 hours before planting.
- Plant as soon as possible to help reduce transplant shock and to enure success.
- Dig holes shallow and wide. The hole should be no deeper than the lon- gest root at the bottom and 2-3 times wider than the entire root mass.
- Begin backfilling with soil, tamping down around the roots to eliminate air pockets.
- Soil level should be up to the area where the branching starts at the base of the stem.
- Water througly.
- Mulch plants to help keep moisture in the soil and control weeds as well. Keep the mulch away from the base of the plant by 1 inch.
- Give the new plant a deep soaking once a week for the first growing season.